How We Got Where We Are Today
The origins of the Church of the Epiphany began with an 1890 Bible study class formed by six dedicated men who met in each other’s homes, in the town of Barton Heights, VA, adjacent to Richmond. By 1896, support for an independent church developed to maturity and The Rev. F.W Crisman became its rector. The church grew in members and means so that by June 1929, the cornerstone for the edifice at 2900 Hanes Avenue was laid and dedicated.
For fifty years, Epiphany thrived at its Hanes Avenue location. Then in 1951, the vestry established a “Committee on the Future of Epiphany.” After much study, the vestry presented a plan to the Richmond Convocation for permission to establish a mission in the Lakeside area. A year later the mission was established, and regular Sunday services were held using Lakeside Elementary School as the facility. The rector, Rev. Rufus Womble, conducted services at both the Hanes Avenue and Lakeside School locations. By 1955, enough funds had been raised to construct the Lakeside Chapel (now our Parish House). The Hanes Avenue location was eventually sold (it is now St. Philip's Episcopal Church) and members of the Lakeside Chapel and the Hanes Avenue congregations joined.
In 1959, the first combined service was held at the Lakeside location on All Saints’ Day. As membership increased, more space was required. By 1967, the cornerstone was laid for a new church building. Construction was completed by Easter 1968, permitting the first service to be held in the new church. Appropriate festivities marked the retiring of the building mortgage in 1981. During the 90s, major renovations to the Parish House were completed, and in 1992, eight memorial stained glass windows were installed in the “new church building.” In 2002, plans and funds evolved to construct an addition connecting the original church building, now the Parish Hall, to the church. Completed in 2004, the addition is focused on amenities and hospitality: it provides accesibility for those with limited mobility as well as a great kitchen, nursery and offices.
The Church of the Epiphany began as a church home more than 110 years ago. Many members of our congregation have been worshipping at Epiphany their entire lives, and many of their parents and grandparents were members as well. In recent years membership has grown to reflect a diverse population with the shared belief that Epiphany is a warm, supportive community and a nurturing church home.